Saturday, July 31, 2010

Attack of the Snoods!!!

I've made 3 snoods in the course of about a week:
The first two snoods, I used the same pattern, a vintage pattern from 1942. This pattern was interesting...it required me to learn a new stitch, the "long triple crochet". To tell you all the truth, I love learning about crochet - the more skills in my repertoire, the more creative I can be!
Okay, here are the snoods:

First, the plain black snood, good for everyday tasks (black goes with everything, ya know):


Snood 1 by ~audreydc1983 on deviantART

And then, the beaded snood. I decided to use wooden beads because they're lighter than glass. They look terrific with this brown yarn I chose from my stash:


Beaded Snood by ~audreydc1983 on deviantART

And lastly, my Cotton Snood! :


Cotton Snood by ~audreydc1983 on deviantART

This one is my first improvised snood. The pattern came from a hat pattern in this book:

Stitch 'N Bitch Crochet: The Happy Hooker
by Debbie Stoller


I just continued doing rounds until I thought it was long enough, and then I single-crocheted on an elastic band.
I was really surprised when I put it on...it was quite snug, with very little give. A snood is held in place with pins around the front, and the pins seemed to be much more stable in natural fiber than with acrylic. With acrylic yarn, hairpins tend to slide and not hold very well - I use quite a lot of them - almost 2X as many as the cotton snood required, in fact, to get a good hold with an acrylic snood.
And it held GOOD. Absolutely NO slippage, and it didn't require me to readjust it at any time. A quick spray with hair spray, let it dry, then put on the snood and pin. It's as easy as that, and takes less than 5 minutes.
The only downside: weight. It is a bit heavier than acrylic, and I'm tempted to add pins along the crown of my head to better distribute the weight. My scalp is a bit sore where the pins were the day after wearing it.
But all in all, I am quite impressed!

I think that this was a definite eye-opener. Women in the Middle Ages definitely knew what they were doing, making snoods from natural fiber (well, that's all they had, but still). I can't wait to try making a snood out of thinner yarn - fingering yarn - or even #10 crochet thread! In theory, any hat pattern or doily pattern can be altered to make a snood. Oh, the possibilities!
If you'd like to buy a snood, there is an awesome lady that crochets and sells them, to the Renfaire/SCA set:
Lady MacSnood
I love my previous two snoods and will continue to wear them, but I think that I will stick to natural fibers from now on when it comes to making crochet hair accessories!

1 comment: